2 pounds sirloin cubes cut into 1-inch cubes
1 ounce olive oil
1 each dry bay leaf
8 ounces diced onions
4 ounces diced carrots
½ ounce chopped garlic
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
8 ounces Guinness stout
1 quart beef broth
Method of Preparation:
• Place steak and flour in plastic zip lock bag; seal and shake vigorously to coat
• Heat oil in large, heavy bottomed stock-pot; add steak and cook over medium-high heat until browned, stirring occasionally. Reserve remaining flour in bag. Sear sirloin cubes in a large stock pot in a small amount of olive oil, add the bay leaf.
• Add bay leaves, garlic, and onions and cook about 5 minutes until tender. Sprinkle in remaining flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the garlic, thyme, rosemary, and chili flakes. Cook for one minute.
• Slowly stir in Guinness Stout while scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any particles. Stir until smooth, thickened, and bubbly. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes.
• Slowly stir in the beef broth and bring to a boil. .
• Cover, reduce, heat, and simmer 1 hour. Stew will thicken and reduce by at least ½. Discard bay leaves before serving.
Sometimes I like to make this in my slow cooker (Ninja). I follow all the steps above and set to slow cooker setting on low for 4-6 hours.