Enchilada Soup

Time to prepare: approx. 1 ½ hours. You can keep on low for hours. It freezes very well.






 I varied the initial recipe as follows:  
 

5 cloves of garlic

2 cups diced onion (1 large)

1 tbsp Cumin

1-2 tbsp Red Chili Powder (from new Mexican red chilies)

3 - 15 oz. cans red kidney beans (I increased the amount. You can try other beans,.I use Kidney, black, and pinto)             

4 – 21/4 oz. cans sliced black olives                

3 – 15 oz. cans tomato sauce

1 – 15 oz. can diced Mexican tomatoes           

1 - 2 oz. can diced green chilies (I omit this if the Mexican tomatoes contain chiles).

1 – 19 oz. can/jar enchilada sauce    

Added ½ of roasted chicken - shredded (I use ground beef sometimes as well)                        

I - 16 oz. bag frozen corn (I add)
 
½ dozen corn tortillas torn into pieces            

2 cups sour cream (I add to each bowl to taste. Also, if freezing helps to leave the sour cream out)
 
Also, I added the shredded cheese to each bowl individually.

-½ lb. grated cheddar cheese                          

               -¼ lb. grated Jack cheese

You’ll make everything in one large stock pot. Saute onions and garlic in oil. Add vegetarian meat (if using) until browned. Add olives, tomato sauce and enchilada sauce. Simmer covered. Add beans, chilies, corn, tomatoes and sour cream. Heat low to medium, stirring frequently. Do not boil. Slowly add in cheese, stir until melted.

 
 
 

Add torn, and/or crumbled tortillas, let dissolve.

Add fresh tortilla wedges prior to serving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thumbprint Cookies

Christmas Rum Balls

Our Families New Favorite Chili!